I am seeking a web development or writing and editing position where my wide-ranging skills can support the organization’s mission and contribute to its success.
Web.com Group (Network Solutions) • Herndon, VA
Web Developer / Team Lead • November 2009 – Present
- Oversaw a team of front-end web developers working on the public-facing Network Solutions storefront, a Java-based enterprise web site.
- Worked closely with other teams, including the Java development, marketing, graphic design, quality assurance, and product teams.
- Developed internal tools and documented the operation of complex systems.
Plexus Scientific Corp. • Alexandria, VA
Web Developer / Team Lead • August 2004 – November 2009
- Oversaw a content management team for the Department of Defense’s DENIX web site, two U.S. Army web sites, and the Plexus corporate web site.
- Planned the analysis and migration of over 54,000 pieces of content to a new platform and led the effort to execute the migration.
- Configured, maintained, and documented internal platforms.
International Food Information Council • Washington, DC
Media Relations Assistant • March 2002 – June 2004
- Wrote and edited press releases and other documents.
- Responded to email media inquiries.
- Tracked media reports and collected statistical data.
- Developed internal tracking and reporting tools using database software.
George Mason University • Fairfax, VA
Bachelor of Science, Public Administration • May 2004
- Multidisciplinary degree with focus on government and nonprofit management, computer applications, and business administration.
- Concentrations in Information Technology and Electronic Journalism.
- Wide-ranging major and elective coursework included government, public policy, history, personnel management, accounting, law, and more.
Problem Solving • on the lookout for ways to improve efficiency.
- Improved Content Management efficiency at Plexus, resulting in an average 50% reduction in time-to-post for DENIX user requests.
- Developed a media inquiry tracking database for IFIC that cut tracking time and effort in half and improved analysis capability.
Computers & Internet • broad experience with technology.
- Proficient with computers running Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux. Comfortable in a shell environment and troubleshooting computer problems.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, and the Adobe Creative Suite. Gains in-depth understanding of applications quickly.
- Many years of experience developing web sites, including work with Apache, PHP, Java, and content management systems like WordPress and Joomla.
Writing & Editing • able to generate clear, effective prose.
- Familiar with Chicago, MLA, and Associated Press styles.
- Able to learn new styles quickly.
- Can target technical or non-technical audiences with ease.
Leadership • experience in technology leadership.
- Managed complex workloads on the Network Solutions web team and consistently led the team to deliver difficult projects on-time.
- Maintained high client satisfaction levels while managing the Plexus Content Management team.