After many years of wishing and longing, I have now obtained a classic Jeep J-10 pickup, which is in the process of being restored and rebuilt by Hardcore Hot Rods in Sterling, Virginia. When complete, this will be a reliable workhorse, not a show-car, and it will be spectacular.
- Model: 1977 Jeep J-10 ‘Honcho’
- Color: Classic black
- Rated at 215 hp, 320 lb-ft torque
- 10 MPG city, 12 MPG highway (EPA estimates)
- Curb weight: 3,800 lbs (17.7 lbs/hp)
- Restoration and rebuild in progress.
Our Subaru Outback is the family workhorse. With all-wheel-drive and plenty of space, it goes wherever I tell it to and hauls whatever we put in (or on) it. It’s a no-frills, practical, solid car that does its job and does it well
- Model: 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i
- Color: Satin white pearl
- Rated at 170 hp, 170 lb-ft torque
- 20 MPG city, 26 MPG highway (EPA estimates)
- Curb weight: 3,395 lbs (20.0 lbs/hp)
We retired the Honda Civic, the first car we ever bought new, and replaced it with the moderately versatile (and incredibly fun to drive) Mini Countryman. It’s a great little car and, unlike the rest of the Mini product line, has all-wheel drive and enough space for four human beings.
This is mainly Melissa’s car, but I end up driving it now and then.
- Model: 2012 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4
- Color: Cosmic blue metallic
- Rated at 181 hp, 192 lb-ft torque
- 23 MPG city, 30 MPG highway (EPA estimates)
- Curb weight: 3,208 lbs (17.7 lbs/hp)
- Reprogrammed daytime running lights
- Reprogrammed automatic moonroof and window functions
- Reprogrammed double-flash hazard lights
- Removed speedometer fudge factor
- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX in silver (purchased used; 2013-2017) (photo)
- 2006 Honda Civic EX in white (purchased new; 2006-2012) (photo)
- 2002 Mazda Tribute ES in silver (purchased used; 2007-2008) (photo)
- 1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi in red (purchased used; 2003-2007) (photo)
- 1994 Mercury Sable GS in black (parents purchased used; 2001-2003) (photo)
- 1988 Mercury Sable LS in blue (parents purchased used; 1999-2001)
- 1978 Jeep J-10 ‘Honcho’ in black & gold (gift from uncle; 1998-1999) (photo)