Prometheus is a phone, a PDA, a camera, a mobile email checker, and web surfer all in one. This little device helps keep me in-touch and well-organized. It can handle pretty much anything I throw at it. It has an unlocked bootloader and is rooted, so I can make it do pretty much anything I want it to.
- Model: Google/LG Nexus 5X
- SOC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
- CPU: 1.8ghz (six-core) ARM64 v8-A (Geekbench scores: 1,189 single, 2,781 multi)
- GPU: Adreno 418 (Geekbench score: 3,309)
- RAM: 2gb LPDDR3
- Storage: 32gb (on-board storage)
- Operating System: Google Android 8.0 (rooted)
- Display: Built-in 5.2″ capacitive LCD at 1920×1080 resolution
- Carrier: Straight Talk GSM (AT&T network MVNO)
- Name Meaning: Reference to a small moon of Saturn that was discovered in 1980. As of this writing, it is the fifth of the sixty-two known moons of Saturn. It takes its name from a Titan in Greek mythology who created mankind and is associated with fire.
It’s sort-of a laptop but also sort-of a tablet, but since it is a secondary machine I’m going to put it in the tablet category in my computer history. These lines are getting very blurry.
- Model: Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA
- SOC: Intel Core M3 6Y430
- CPU: 2.2ghz (dual-core) x86-64 (Geekbench scores: 2,629 single, 4,938 multi)
- GPU: Intel HD Graphics 515 (Geekbench score: 2,363)
- RAM: 4gb LPDDR3
- Storage: 64gb (on-board storage)
- Operating System(s):
- Google Chrome OS 62 (native)
- Google Android 7.1 (native subsystem)
- Xubuntu Linux 17.10 (via crouton)
- Display: Built-in 12.5″ capacitive LCD at 1920×1080 resolution
- Name Meaning: Reference to a small moon of Jupiter that was discovered in 1979. As of this writing, it is the fourth of the sixty-nine known moons of Jupiter. It takes its name from the nymph Thebe of Greek mythology, who was the daughter of the river god Asopos, wife of Zethus, and a consort of Zeus.
Adam Selene is an e-reader with capacity for hundreds and hundreds books and a battery life that lasts for many days at a time. The e-ink display is perfect for reading, and ‘feels’ much more like paper than a normal computer display. It also includes the ‘paperwhite’ LED lighting mechanism that allows for night reading without the eye strain you get from a traditional LCD display.
- Model: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation)
- Processor: Freescale ARM, 1ghz (ARMv6)
- Memory: 1.25gb (on-board storage)
- Operating System: Kindle 5.8 (custom Linux OS)
- Display: Built-in 6″ gray-scale e-paper at 768×1024 resolution.
- Name Meaning: Adam Selene is an alias of Mycroft Holmes, the sentient computer in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.
I had owned two Pebble watches (and had an order in for a third) when Pebble went out of business. They refunded my money, but never delivered the product. Apple and Android smart watches are trying to be smartphones on your wrist, but Pebbles were a watch-with-benefits. That’s what I want. So I bought a Fitbit Blaze, which is fitness-oriented (though I am not), but it tells time and passes along notifications. And now that much of the Pebble team is at Fitbit, it might pick up some Pebble goodies as it goes. Maybe.
- Model: Fitbit Blaze
- Processor: ARM Cortex-M3, 48mhz (ARMv7-M)
- Memory: 8mb (RAM)
- Operating System: Fitbit Blaze Firmware 17.8
- Display: Built-in 1.3″ LCD at 240×180 resolution
- Name Meaning: Doesn’t really mean anything.
After many years on Canon ‘prosumer’ cameras, I finally made the leap to a full-fledged digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) camera—the entry-level Nikon D3100. This allows me to take relatively professional photos, at least as far as my limited talent will allow, and even help out with Melissa’s photo shoots as a backup now and again.
- Model: Nikon D3100
- Type: Digital Single-Lens Reflex
- Resolution: 14.1 megapixels
- Memory: 8gb (SDHC card)
- Display: Built-in 3″ LCD
- Flash: Nikon SB-500 AF Speedlight
- Name Meaning: Doesn’t really mean anything.
- Atlas (HTC One M9 Dev. Edition, Android 6.0, Straight Talk GSM [AT&T network MVNO])
- Telesto (Google/LG Nexus 4, Android 5.1, Straight Talk GSM [AT&T network MVNO])
- Aegir (Google/Samsung Nexus S, Android 4.2, Straight Talk GSM [AT&T network MVNO])
- Handlink (Motorola Droid 2 Global, Android 2.3, Verizon CDMA)
- Katrina 2 (Palm Pre Plus, Web OS 1.4, Verizon CDMA)
- Katrina (RIM BlackBerry ‘Bold’ 9000, BlackBerry OS 4.6, AT&T GSM)
- Katy 3 (AT&T 8525 [HTC TyTN HERM100], Windows Mobile 6, AT&T GSM)
- Katy 2 (Palm Treo 650, Palm OS 5.4 ‘Garnet’, Cingular GSM)
- ScottPhone 2004 (Motorola C343, Verizon CDMA)
- ScottPhone 2002 (Motorola V120c, Verizon CDMA)
- ScottPhone (Audiovox CDM135, Verizon CDMA)
- LG LGC-330W (Bell Atlantic CDMA)
- Nokia 6162 (SunCom TDMA)
- Kore (Amazon Fire 5th Generation; Fire OS 5.4 [Android 5.1])
- Europa (Asus Transformer Book T100; Windows 10)
- Callisto (Google/Asus Nexus 7; Android 4.4)
- Selina 2 (Motorola Xoom MZ505, Android 3.1)
- ScottPod 2 (Apple iPod Classic [6G], iPod Classic Software 1.1)
- ScottPod (Apple iPod 3G, iPod Software 2.3)