Supported Browsers & Platforms
Off on a Tangent is designed for a viewport width of at least 320px.
Desktop, laptop, and limited support browsers are tested using Apple macOS 10.13, FreeDOS 1.2, Google Chrome OS 64, Haiku Nightly/Development, Microsoft Windows 10 (1709), and Xubuntu Linux 17.10. Tablet browsers are tested using Apple iOS 11.3, Google Android 8.1, Google Chrome OS 64, and Microsoft Windows 10 (1709). Smartphone browsers are tested using Apple iOS 11.3 and Google Android 8.1.
The most recent version of each of the browsers listed below are officially supported. If you have any trouble using the site in a supported browser, please let me know! In addition, the site should work properly in almost any recent Blink, EdgeHTML, Gecko, or Webkit-based browser.
- Chrome (Chrome, Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Edge (Windows)
- Firefox (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- QupZilla (Haiku, Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Safari (Mac)
- WebPositive (Haiku)
Core and Libraries
- WordPress—the core of this site is built on WordPress, an open source (GNU-GPL 2.0) blogging and content management system.
- This site makes use, to varying degrees, of the following WordPress plugins. These plugins are also licensed under the GNU-GPL 2.0 (except for the Off on a Tangent plugin, which is for private use on this site alone and is not distributed).
- Akismet Anti-Spam—Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam. It keeps your site protected even while you sleep. To get started: activate the Akismet plugin and then go to your Akismet Settings page to set up your API key. By Automattic
- Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps—Generates XML sitemaps for your WordPress website with ease. This plugin comes with support for sitemap index, multisite WordPress and Google News sitemap. It also provides a powerful and flexible system for any customization need. By Khang Minh
- Broken Link Checker—Checks your blog for broken links and missing images and notifies you on the dashboard if any are found. By Janis Elsts, Vladimir Prelovac
- Disable Comments—Allows administrators to globally disable comments on their site. Comments can be disabled according to post type. By Samir Shah
- Jetpack by WordPress.com—Bring the power of the WordPress.com cloud to your self-hosted WordPress. Jetpack enables you to connect your blog to a WordPress.com account to use the powerful features normally only available to WordPress.com users. By Automattic
- Mail From—Change the default address that WordPress sends it’s email from. By Andrew Hamilton
- Off on a Tangent—Supporting code for Off on a Tangent. By Scott Bradford
- Search Exclude—Hide any page or post from the WordPress search results by checking off the checkbox. By Roman Pronskiy
- TinyMCE Advanced—Enables advanced features and plugins in TinyMCE, the visual editor in WordPress. By Andrew Ozz
- WordPress phpinfo()—This simple plugin adds an option to an administrator’s Tools menu which displays standard phpinfo() feedback details to the user and allows to send in email. By Chris Flannagan
- WP-PluginsUsed—Display WordPress plugins that you currently have (both active and inactive) onto a post/page. By Lester 'GaMerZ' Chan
- WP Render Blogroll Links—Outputs your Blogroll links to a Page or Post. Add [wp-blogroll] to a Page or Post and all your Wordpress links/Blogrolls will be rendered. This extremely simple plug-in enables you to create your own Links page without having to write a custom template.The output can easily be styled with CSS. Each category with its links is encapsulated in a DIV with a classname called “linkcat”. All the links are attributed with the class “brlink”. By Tanin Ehrami
- _s (underscores)—The Off on a Tangent WordPress theme is based upon the open-source (GNU-GPL 2.0) _s (underscores) starter theme.
- Bootstrap—The responsive layout and most user interface elements are built upon the open source (MIT License) Bootstrap framework.
- SmartMenus—Menu functions are built upon the open source (MIT License) SmartMenus jQuery plugin with the Bootstrap add-on.
- Colorbox—Image and gallery pop-ups are built upon the open-source (MIT License) Colorbox jQuery plugin.
- jVectorMap—Electoral and others maps are built upon the open source (GNU-GPL 3.0) jVectorMap library.
- DreamHost—Hosting and domain registration services by DreamHost.
- Apache HTTP Server—The web server software that underpins both my development and production environments is the open source (Apache License) Apache HTTP Server.
- PHP Hypertext Preprocessor—The scripting language that powers WordPress and WordPress plugins, as well as my custom application code, is the open source (PHP License) PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.
- Oracle MySQL—The database technology that powers WordPress is the open source (GNU-GPL 2.0) Oracle MySQL server.
Design and Development
- Adobe Creative Cloud—Graphics and design work for Off on a Tangent happens in the various proprietary Adobe creative applications, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and many others (depending on the specific task).
- Git Version Control—I maintain my code-bases in Git, an open source (GNU-GPL 2.0) version control system. It keeps all my code in line and makes sure I can roll-back my occasional catastrophic errors.
- Google Chrome—While developing this site, I do most of my initial development testing in Google’s Chrome web browser, which is based on the open source (BSD License) Chromium browser.
- Mantis Bug Tracker—I track bugs, development goals, and more using the open source (GNU-GPL 2.0) Mantis Bug Tracker system, which I also use to track my other development projects.
Standardization and Evaluation
- HyperText Markup Language (HTML)
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- JSON Data Interchange Syntax
- Standards: ECMA-404 JSON Data Interchange Syntax (2nd Edition)
- Linting: JSONLint
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Standard: W3C WCAG 2.0
- Evaluation: University of Illinois Functional Accessibility Evaluator
- Ken Silverman’s PNGOUT—PNG images used in the site templates and elsewhere are compressed using Ken Siverman’s excellent PNGOUT utility.