Off on a Tangent now projects that Jim Webb (D) has won election as Senator from Virginia, handing the Democratic Party a narrow 51-seat majority in the Senate. This final call concludes Off on a Tangent’s ongoing coverage of the election. Barring any major irregularities during the expected recounts, the results included in this entry should be considered ‘final’.
|U.S. Senate, VA|
|George Allen (R):||49.20%|
|Gail Parker (IG):||1.10%|
|Jim Webb (D):||49.59% |
|U.S. House, VA-11th|
|Tom Davis (R):||55.45% |
|Ferdinando Greco (IG):||0.87%|
|Andrew Hurst (D):||43.57%|
|Virginia Marriage Amend.|
|Virginia Incorp. Amend.|
|Virginia Tax Amendment|
|Fairfax Parks Bonds|
|Fairfax Safety Bonds|
Additional Election News & Updates:
Watch this space for news from important elections nationwide!
Send tips via email or IM.
- Off on a Tangent projects that Jim Webb (D) has won election as Senator from Virginia, defeating incumbent Senator George Allen (R) by a razor-thin margin (< 1 percent).
- As the last outstanding Senate election in the country, Webb’s victory gains the Democratic Party a majority in the U.S. Senate. The Democrats have gained 6 additional seats for a narrow 51-seat majority.
- Based of an examination of media projections and official returns, Off on a Tangent projects that the Democratic Party has gained a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives. The Democrats have gained at least 28 seats in last night’s election for at least a 9 seat majority.
- With over 98 percent of district precincts reporting, Off on a Tangent projects that Representative Tom Davis (R) has won reelection for Virginia’s 11th District, U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Andrew Hurst (D).
- With over 99 percent of precincts reporting, Off on a Tangent projects that the Virginia Statewide Ballot Issue #1: Definition of Marriage has PASSED.
- Off on a Tangent also projects that Ballot Issue #2: Incorporation of Churches and Ballot Issue #3: Property Tax Exemption have both PASSED.
- With all Fairfax County precincts reporting, Off on a Tangent projects that the Parks and Park Facilities Bonds and Public Safety Facilities Bonds referendums have both PASSED.
- Associated Press reports that Ben Cardin (D) has won election as Senator from Maryland, defeating Michael Steele (R) and Martin O’Malley (D) has won election as Governor of Maryland, defeating incumbent Governor Bob Ehrlich (R).
- Associated Press reports that incumbent Senator Joe Lieberman (I) has won reelection as Senator from Connecticut, defeating Ned Lamont (D) and Alan Schlesinger (R).
- Associated Press reports that Bob Casey (D) has won election as Senator from Pennsylvania, defeating incumbent Senator Rick Santorum (R).
- Associated Press reports that incumbent Senator Bob Menendez (D) has won election as Senator from New Jersey, defeating Thomas Kean Jr. (R).