A special election will be held on January 10 to fill vacancies in the Virginia General Assembly. Another special election will be held on February 21 to fill a vacancy in the U.S. House of Representatives. I make the following recommendations in those races:
January 10 Special Elections
- Virginia House of Delegates:
- 24th District: Delegate Ronnie Campbell (R-VA 24th) died in December. Ellen Campbell (R) and Jade Harris (D) stand as candidates to replace him. I recommend voting for Ellen Campbell.
- 35th District: Delegate Mark Keam (D-VA 35th) resigned in September. Monique Baroudi (R) and Holly Seibold (D) stand as candidates to replace him. I recommend voting for Monique Baroudi.
- Virginia Senate:
- 7th District: Former Virginia Senator Jen Kiggans (R-VA 7th) resigned following her election to the U.S. House of Representatives in November. Kevin Adams (R) and Aaron Rouse (D) stand as candidates to replace her. I recommend voting for Kevin Adams.
February 21 Special Election
- U.S. House of Representatives (Virginia):
- 4th District: Representative Donald McEachin (D-VA 4th) died in November. Leon Benjamin (R) and Virginia Senator Jennifer McClellan (D-VA 9th) stand as candidates to replace him. I recommend voting for Leon Benjamin.
Note: Monique Baroudi, who stands as a candidate in the 35th District race for the Virginia House of Delegates, has been connected with me on social media since 2017. We have several mutual friends and have occasionally interacted online. I had no campaign-related contact with Baroudi prior to publishing, nor did our acquaintance have any bearing on my recommendation in her race.
Ed. Note, January 31, 2023: This post originally stated that the U.S. House of Representatives 4th District special election would be held on January 21. It is in fact scheduled for February 21. I apologize for the error.